Tips to be a perfect guest during Hari Raya Visits in Malaysia
Posted on June 03 2019
Hari Raya – The day of Celebration
Eid al-Fitr which means the "Festival of Breaking the Fast", is a very important religious day celebrated by Muslims across the world, to mark the end of Ramadan. This festival is popularly known as Hair Raya is all the Malay speaking countries like Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, and Malaysia, and is celebrated by the Muslim community there to mark an individual’s victory over self-control and self-resistance which denotes revival and rebirth.
Hari Raya Puasa which means the "Day of Celebration will be celebrated this year on the 6th of June 2019. This auspicious day is declared a public holiday in the country, it falls on the first day of the Syawal month as per the Islamic calendar.
Hari Raya Etiquette – Being a good guest
With Hari Raya being just around the corner, invitations would have piled up for you to join friends and families at their homes to be a part of the celebrations. If you are not aware about the customs and etiquette to follow, when visiting, below are a few points which you need to remember:
- Dress modestly, avoid any skin barring for both males and females. Keep yourself natural, avoid heavy make-up.
- Greet your hosts with Eid Mubarak, which means “blessed celebration” or by saying Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri which emphasizes on the fact that it’s the Festival of Breaking the Fast.
- Avoid handshakes, a Muslim handshake is a salaam. Men and Women who are not intimately connected, avoid any physical contact, hence you can greet your lady host with a simple smile or nod of acknowledgement.
- As tempting it maybe do not start eating before inviting your hostto eat with you. For basic courtesy, you should ask your hosts “jemput makan”, meaning “let’s eat together”.
- Though it is not necessary for a guest to give out the green packets (Duit Raya), you are welcome to give them to young children present. Green packets can be given to elders too as a mark of respect. Always gift the green envelopes with both hands and accept them too with both hands.
- There are no strict rules for gifting, but it is always pleasant to carry a gift for your host. We have listed below some of the best gift hampers you can gift your Host this Hari Raya:
A fantastic assortment of tasty treats ranging from chocolates and dates to cookies and green tea, a perfect gift for your friends and family this Hari Raya. Packed beautifully in a luxury gift box are box of Pitted Prunes, Box of premium tea bags, pack of dates and cookies, assorted chocolates and a bottle of virgin olive oil. Eid of Happiness is a wonderful gift hamper ideal for gifting for celebrating Hari Raya.
Enchanting Small Eid is a wonderful gift box ideal for gifting your friends and families for Hari Raya. The bug Baklawa gift box is loaded with delicacies for a sweet tooth. It contains everything from dates to chocolates to cookies to Turkish delights. The box contains a bottle of sparkling juice. It is definitely a gift to remember.
Treat your family and friends with a box loaded with a wide assortment of sweet and savory delicacies. Wealth and Prosperity is a large Bakhlawa box filled with assorted chocolates, dates, assorted cookies, Turkish delights, pitted prunes, Coklat Swiss gold bars and a bottle of sparkling juice. This gift hamper is loaded with goodies which your recipient will savor and enjoy this festive season.